- Steven Atkinson
- 6 Hours 27 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Jun 24, 2019
This is the best recording on challenging geriatric behaviors that you will ever attend – GUARANTEED!
Watch Steven Atkinson, PA-C, MS, nationally-known expert, author and speaker on geriatrics for a high-energy, dynamic recording filled with interesting case studies, insightful discussions and interactive learning. You will leave this recording with practical techniques that you can apply the next day! Dealing with cognitively-impaired geriatric patients can be challenging even for the experienced healthcare professional.
You will learn strategies to manage behaviors such as:
- Anxiety and depression
- Refusal of food and fluids
- Inappropriate sexual advances
If older adults are routinely under your care, minimize your risk of escalating the problems associated with troublesome, often irrational behavior by attending this program. Gain valuable insights into the causes of challenging geriatric behaviors and learn innovative and practical intervention strategies to improve the care you provide.
|Manual – Challenging Geriatric Behaviors (10.4 MB)||35 Pages||Available after Purchase|
|Instructions for ASHA Credit – SELF STUDY ONLY – 06/24/19 (38.5 KB)||Available after Purchase|
Normal Aging, Dementia, Depression or Delirium
- Normal aging changes of the mind
- Depression, dementia, and delirium
- Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- Diagnose, differentiate, and develop a plan of care
- Getting a diagnosis
- Behavioral issues of early diagnosis
- Management and interventions
- Pharmacological treatments
Driving with Dementia
- Driving safety
- Legal issues
- Assess driving abilities
- How to take the keys away
- Reasons why cognitively impaired individuals wander
- Is wandering a bad thing?
- Issues to consider
- Manage a wanderer’s behavior
- Identify the cause of aggression
- Loss of impulse control
- Regression of the mind/child-like mind
- Manage the problem
Inappropriate Sexual Behaviors
- Normal sexual drive or inappropriate behavior
- Cognitively impaired individuals
- Medication management
- Ethical considerations
Refusing to Eat/Forgetting to Eat
- Reasons why geriatric patients slow or stop eating
- Nutritional needs in a geriatric patient
- Improve nutritional status
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Alternatives to eating
- Sundowning and behavioral problems in the evening
- Why does sundowning occur?
- Environmental interventions to decrease aggressive behaviors
- Medication management when it becomes problematic
- Physical, psychological, and emotional stress
- Identify caregiver burnout and ways to help
- Assist the caregiver
- Ways to identify potential falls and prevent injury
- Causes for orthostatic hypotension
- Ways to avoid using restraints
Case Studies: Learning from Experience and Mistakes
- How to manage sundowners
- Strategies to improve hygiene
- Reassurance and redirection
Steven Atkinson, PA-C, MS Related seminars and products: 18
Steven Atkinson, PA-C, MS, is a Board-Certified Physician Assistant specializing in Geriatric Internal Medicine. He practices medicine in the greater Minneapolis area. In addition to his private practice, he has been on the faculty at the University of Utah since 1994 and has been involved in medicine for over 30 years.
Steven is the co-founder of Twin Cities Physicians, which serves older adults in nearly all levels of their care. He has presented nationally for over 15 years, primarily speaking about geriatric-related syndromes.
Steven is the author of Geriatric Pharmacology: The Principles of Practice & Clinical Recommendations, Second Edition (PESI, 2016) and also sits on several boards whose purpose is to elevate the level of care in medicine for the patients they serve. Steven has been described as a “dynamic” educator and one of the most engaging presenters around. Don’t miss him!
Financial: Steven Atkinson is the founder and co-owner of Twin Cities Physicians; and owner of Mindful Geriatrics, LLC. He is an Adjunct Faculty at the University of Utah. Mr. Atkinson receives royalties as an author for PESI Publishing and Media. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Steven Atkinson has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
6 reviews for Steven Atkinson – Challenging Geriatric Behaviors
There are no reviews yet.